Category: Age

How Old is the Main Street?

We have  discovered that our Kilbride became a distinguishable separate parish when we were separated from our mother Parish church to the North of Lamlash in 1567. We have also discovered that the name Kilbride first came into use for our church lands in 1337 when these lands, along with a large chunk of Arran

Where we began…(1337)

The Chapel of St Brigid at Margnaheglish, Arran In 1337, Sir John de Menteith gave a considerable amount of land to Kilwinning Abbey. These lands included a huge portion of Arran and also lands we now recognise as our village centre. In these medieval times the King owned all the lands but recognised feudal Earls